TopRq.com

rss_follow  tubmlr_follow twitter_follow


Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
fountain girls

Fountain Girls

In the 19th century, major European cities, led by London and Paris, began to use aqueducts, artesian wells and steam pumps to supply drinking water directly to homes. Fountains gradually ceased to be sources of drinking water and became public monuments in city squares and parks, honoring national heroes and events.
The fountains in Trafalgar Square were not part of the original design of the square, which was created beginning in 1826 to commemorate the victory of Lord Nelson over the fleet of Napoleon Bonaparte 1805. The fountains were added in 1845 by architect Charles Barry, famous for designing the Houses of Parliament, to break up the vast open space of the square and also to reduce the space available for unruly street demonstrations. The fountains were powered by a steam engine behind the National Gallery, which pumped water that came from an Artesian Well.
The original fountains were replaced in 1938-47 with two new fountains designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, with sculptures by Sir Charles Wheeler and William McMillian, as monuments to two British naval heroes of the First World War, Lord John Jellicoe and Lord David Beatty. They were rebuilt again, with new pumps and lighting, in 2009.
The Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain in Picadilly Circus, London.by Alfred Gilbert, features an aluminum statue of Anteros representing "The Angel of Christian Charity." It was built in 1893 to honor the British philanthropist Lord Shaftesbury, but instead it scandalized Londoners, who thought it was a statue of Eros.

File information
Filename:133578.jpg
Album name:People & Humanity
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#fountain #girls
Filesize:85 KiB
Date added:Jun 29, 2009
Dimensions:570 x 721 pixels
Displayed:96 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=133578
Favorites:Add to Favorites