TopRq.com

rss_follow  tubmlr_follow twitter_follow


Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Capilano Suspension Bridge, British Columbia, Canada

Capilano Suspension Bridge, British Columbia, Canada

The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a simple suspension bridge crossing the Capilano River in the District of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The current bridge is 136 metres (446 ft) long and 70 metres (230 ft) above the river. It is part of a private facility, with a charge for admission, and draws over 800,000 visitors a year.
History
The bridge was originally built in 1889 by George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer and park commissioner for Vancouver. It was originally made of hemp ropes with a deck of cedar planks, and was replaced with a wire cable bridge in 1903. In 1910 Edward Mahon purchased the Capilano Suspension Bridge. "Mac" MacEachran purchased the Bridge from Mahon in 1935 and invited local natives to place their totem poles in the park, adding a native theme. In 1945, he sold the bridge to Henri Aubeneau.

File information
Filename:369530.jpg
Album name:Architecture & Design
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#capilano #suspension #bridge #british #columbia #canada
Filesize:58 KiB
Date added:Mar 30, 2011
Dimensions:463 x 700 pixels
Displayed:24 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=369530
Favorites:Add to Favorites