TopRq.com

rss_follow  tubmlr_follow twitter_follow


Rate this file (Rating : 5 / 5 with 1 votes)
Capilano Suspension Bridge, British Columbia, Canada

Capilano Suspension Bridge, British Columbia, Canada

The bridge was originally built in 1889 by George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer and park commissioner for Vancouver. It was originally made of hemp ropes with a deck of cedar planks, and was replaced with a wire cable bridge in 1903. In 1910 Edward Mahon purchased the Capilano Suspension Bridge. "Mac" MacEachran purchased the Bridge from Mahon in 1935 and invited local natives to place their totem poles in the park, adding a native theme. In 1945, he sold the bridge to Henri Aubeneau.
The bridge was completely rebuilt again in 1956.
The park was sold to Nancy Stibbard, the current owner, in 1983. Annual attendance has since increased, and in May 2004, Treetops Adventures was opened. This new attraction consists of seven footbridges suspended between old-growth Douglas Fir trees on the west side of the canyon, forming a walkway up to 30 metres (98 ft) above the forest floor.

File information
Filename:369533.jpg
Album name:Architecture & Design
Rating (1 votes):55555
Keywords:#capilano #suspension #bridge #british #columbia #canada
Filesize:109 KiB
Date added:Mar 30, 2011
Dimensions:467 x 700 pixels
Displayed:24 times
URL:displayimage.php?pid=369533
Favorites:Add to Favorites